In the mountains, you always have to be prepared for "weather." Our team left the trailhead today very well prepared, and aren't we glad! By the time the first group reached base camp at around 2 p.m., light snow and sleet were falling. The climbers quickly set up their tents and promptly got in to stay warm and dry.
The snowfall is part of a small, quick-moving storm front passing through. Our amazing guides at Shasta Mountain Guides had anticipated the storm and, this morning, discussed with climbers the distinct possibility of delaying the summit attempt from Wednesday until the pre-dawn hours of Thursday. Within the last few hours, the guides made the definitive call: The summit attempt will happen on Thursday. This will not only allow the climbers to wait out the storm, it will also give them extra time to acclimate to the high altitude.
Reports from the mountain are that everyone is in good spirits and enjoying the beauty of base camp with a dusting of fresh spring snow.
We'll update you on Wednesday about how the team is doing at base camp. For those eager to hear about the team members' summit attempts, please tune in on Thursday morning!